HG Concealer Search {Part I}

Aloha!

Today's post is going to be about my current and on-going search for my personal HG concealer.

Having suffered from acne for about four years now, I've always been on the hunt for my HG concealer--a concealer that is long-wearing, medium-full coverage, matches my skin's texture, and fairly matches my skintone (obviously, but you'd be surprised at how limited some shade ranges are ._.). Nowadays, I rarely get active breakouts, but I'm still left with the mass amount of hyperpigmentation that needs to be covered up by either foundation and/or concealer.

Quite honestly, I never started using concealer regularly until last year, which really makes me wonder how people viewed my face  ゚ Д゚

Anyways, this is going to be a review of the concealers I currently own: Benefit's Boi-ing, NARS concealer, and Olay x Covergirl concealer balm.





(As you can tell, I'm quite pale ._.) (Also jeebus, that vein on my hand is RIDICULOUS) 

First off, if it isn't obvious, the Olay x Covergirl concealer is not in my shade. IT IS IN THE LIGHTEST SHADE AVAILABLE TOO :(. If I recall correctly, there are only 4 shades available right now, making it slightly difficult for those who have paler or darker skin than the shades being offered. (Covergirl, get on that!) I picked it up at Target because Emily from Beauty Broadcast loves this product and I'll buy anything she wants me to  she is one of my favourite beauty bloggers. She gives the best recommendations for products, in my opinion. I was at Target, thoroughly convinced that the lightest shade would be my shade, despite it being so dark in the package. I'm self-delusional, I know. ;-; 

Since we're on the topic of the Olay x Covergirl concealer balm, this concealer applies like a dream. Normally, stick concealers are dry in texture, but this concealer glides on like nobody's business. In the swatches, compared with the other two concealers, this concealer appears smoother, more emollient. 
I find that since it glides on so smoothly and easily, it's perfect for the undereye area without appearing 'cakey', and you could probably also use it for other blemishes. However, this concealer and the rest of the shades do run a bit on the warmer side, with no options for other undertones. 

Coverage with one swipe is medium, and if you're shade 330 or darker in the Olay x Covergirl foundation range, then I highly recommend this concealer.  

UPDATE: So I went on the site for this product and they have more shades out now? Why couldn't I find the lighter shades in-store? :(

NARS Concealer in 'Vanilla'

NARS' concealer was actually my first high-end/Sephora makeup purchase. I have used it for about 7 months now, and I still have about 1/3 left of it. Like other stick concealers, it has a dry texture, despite NARS' claims that it is a, "A lightweight, creamy, long-wearing concealer." I agree that it is lightweight, and long-wearing, but it is only somewhat creamy. I also find that this really accentuates dry patches, even if after I've used a moisturizer and primer. On the other hand, I do use it on large areas of my skin on days I don't feel like wearing foundation, and I find that it does not crease on me, nor does it settle into fine lines.

Coverage with one swipe is medium, and comes in various light to dark shades, all sorted by undertone as well. I like this concealer, but the $25-28 CDN price tag, and it's ability to accentuate flaky skin means I'll continue searching for a better (and cheaper) concealer.

Benefit Boi-ing Concealer in '#01'

Funny story, I actually bought this concealer without reading the reviews first. I was in a Sephora, and had a giant cystic zit on my cheek, and my NARS concealer was unable to cover it properly. I asked for a recommendation for better blemish concealer, and was actually referenced to visiting Benefit makeup artist, and he introduced this product to me. He applied this product on me AND HOLY TOMOLY THIS PRODUCT DELIVERED. Of course, concealers can't cover texture, but the redness was gone with this product. Ecstatic, I picked this product up for $26 CDN.

Benefit describes this as, "This award-winning concealer camouflages dark circles, shadows, and discoloration without creasing or fading."

Having used this product for several months, I've personally found that this product is meant to spot-treat only. It is insanely fantastic for covering redness on a blemish, but not so much if you decide to use it over a larger area on your skin because it creases on fine lines, even with a primer. Of course, at the same time, you could also easily fix this by smoothing the concealer over, but that would mean checking up on it every so often, and ain't nobody got time for that. ._. I also find this disappears on the skin after a while, so set it with powder and use a primer underneath if you can.

Benefit makes some of the cutest packaging for their products, but often it is impractical. Boi-ing comes in a pot, which makes it quite unsanitary if you are using your fingers to apply the product (and I have no idea how to disinfect the product. Do I spray alcohol on it?). I also have a bit of lint in mine because the pot is wide (._.), and I find it's best to apply this product with a brush or sponge.

This concealer comes in 5 shades, which is alright. I still have a lot of this product left, so as of right now I'm still unsure as to whether I will eventually repurchase it or not.

_______________________________________________________

Basically: Olay x Covergirl - 4.5 | NARS - 3/5 | Benefit - 3.5/5

Anyways, I hope you've enjoyed my rundown/review of the current concealers I own. After my NARS concealer is done, I plan on trying out MUFE's Full Cover, and/or Hard Candy's 'Glamoflauge' concealer. 

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I should check out, let me know! (◕‿◕✿)

No comments